On Tuesday, May 19th, members of the HGCA gathered to prepare the flags donated by Legislator Rose Walker for distribution. Thanks so much to all those who volunteered!
On April 21st, the Hicksville Board of Ed appointed Carl Bonuso as Superintendent of Schools for the period starting July 1 2015, and lasting through June 30 2018.
Read more on the Hicksville School District website.
The Nassau County Office of Community development has informed us of a hearing scheduled for May 5th that will cover the County’s Consolidated 5-year plan covering housing and community development needs along with a Strategic Plan for addressing those needs during the upcoming five-year period (FFY2015-2019). They are looking for input from all civics across the county.
More details regarding the hearing may be found in the letter issued to the HGCA. If you are interested in attending, let us know.
Last week, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) has issued a Record of Decision (ROD) for the American Drive-In Cleaners Site, which describes the remedy selected to address contamination associated with the site.
Contaminants investigated include volatile organic compounds (VOCs). These solvents were a concern because of the site’s history as a dry cleaning facility.
Major elements of the selected remedy include:
1. A soil vapor extraction system: This system will extract VOCs from the subsurface soil. The air removed will be treated as needed before being discharged to the atmosphere.
2. Cover system: A site cover currently exists and will be maintained to allow for commercial use of the site.
3. Building slab maintenance: This maintenance will be performed to prevent vapor intrusion. Annual inspections will be performed to ensure the effectiveness of the maintenance.
4. Groundwater monitoring: A program of monitoring will be carried out to address groundwater contamination. It is anticipated that within a reasonable time period contamination will decrease.
5. Site Management Plan: will include provisions to monitor for the continued effectiveness of the remedy.
The full ROD may be found on the NYSDEC website. Copies of the ROD are also available for review at the Hicksville Public Library.
On March 24th, the HGCA’s very own Marie Dunker was awarded the TOB’s Women of Distinction award for her volunteer work. As many of you know, Marie is quite involved in the community, both with the HGCA as well as other organizations.
Marie received her award in a ceremony at the TOB, along with the recipients in other categories. Look for her plaque that now hangs at the TOB Town Hall the next time you visit.
A Big Thank You to all our members who made this possible. We were able to bring cheer this holiday season into the homes of 3 families from Lee Ave. School. The Principal and Nurse were very thankful.
The Community Service committee would like to thank everyone for their generous donation to our Thanksgiving Food Drive. It was a huge success. We were able to donate 7 boxes of food and a Gift Certificate for a turkey to a needy family in our community. This is done through the Lee Ave. school administration and nurse’s office, which selected an appropriate needy family. We had enough donations for a Thanksgiving meal and to fill their cupboards for several meals.
We would also like to thank contributions: Foodtown for donating a gift certificate for the turkey and T-Mobile for a case of cereal.
Chairwoman Marie Dunker introduced and called up each recipient and their commercial sponsor. The following scholarships were awarded:
|Faiz Ahmed||attending Adelphi for Biology||Perfect Pharmacy|
|Matthew Chung||attending Northeastern School of Pharmacy||Perfect Pharmacy|
|Megan Locke||attending St. Joseph’s double major Speech pathology and
|Perillo Bros Fuel|
|Jessica DeTurris||attending SUNY Binghamton majoring in Math||Food Town|
|Shincy Thomas||attending St. Bonaventure||DELCO/Alvin Rush|
|Amy Fine||attending SUNY Plattsburg||HGCA|
The HGCA was out as usual to distribute flags to residences in our area,
and to march in the Hicksville Memorial Day Parade. Here’s a great
snapshot of members of the HGCA with elected officials
Pictured are HGCA members who volunteered for our Annual Spring Clean Up. This year we again focused on cleaning up the following 2 areas:
- The So. Broadway Triangle (So. Broadway & South Oyster Bay Road) and
- The So. Broadway median across from Miyako Hibachi & Sushi Restaurant